Generic driver interface API for latest version of hostapd (0.3.7 or devel CVS snapshot)

Dan Searle dan
Thu Feb 17 01:34:24 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get hostapd 0.3.7 to integrate with a closed source
802.11a/b/g WiFi driver written by a third party. The third party are
sure that all they need to do to provide the necessary API for a stock
(out-of-the-box) hostapd to work with their driver is for them to
implement the Linux Wireless Extensions v.18 API in their driver.

I fail to see this. From what I can see from the hostapd sources there
are specific driver modules written to interface with specific WiFi
drivers. The only possible common ground seems to be the Free BSD
driver module, does this module (driver_bsd.c) have anything to do
with version 18 of the Wireless Extensions API? I.e. If I have a Linux
WiFi driver which implements all functions of the version 18 WE API,
does this make it any easier for me to integrate it with hostapd? Or
am I going to have to write another driver_mywifi.c abstraction layer?

Any suggestions to clarify my confusion are much appreciated,

Regards, Dan...

--

Dan Searle
Adelix Ltd

Any views expressed in this email communication are those
of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of a member of Adelix Ltd.  Adelix Ltd. does not
represent, warrant or guarantee that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors or
interference.