wpa_supplicant WPA_PSK: not working with Value Point AP --HELP

Jungle Cui jcui
Wed Feb 16 22:31:41 PST 2005

Hi, Jouni,

Thanks for the analysis. The trace was what we got for one wpa_supplicant cycle (10 seconds).
Looks it could be an AP issue. It just fails to response anything after association. Just not sure
why Windows XP built-in client can successfully talk to this AP.

Best Regards,

________________________________

From: hostap-bounces+jcui=skymv.com at shmoo.com on behalf of Jouni Malinen
Sent: Wed 2/16/2005 7:59 PM
To: hostap at shmoo.com
Subject: Re: wpa_supplicant WPA_PSK: not working with Value Point AP --HELP

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:48:06AM -0800, Jungle Cui wrote:

> Attached is the sniffer dump for one round of WPA_PSK connection from
> wpa_supplicant to ValuePoint AP. Please take a look.

Thanks. In general, I would prefer capture logs in a format that can be
easily read with ethereal (e.g.., capture file from ethereal itself or
tcpdump).

The capture log was cut somewhat short, i.e., it continued only for
about 130 ms after the association. During that time, the AP did not
seem to send out any EAPOL frames. If no EAPOL frames is received even
after this, it looks like the AP is doing something odd and there is not
much that wpa_supplicant could do here. The association seemed work
correctly and the next thing would be for the AP to send the first
EAPOL-Key packet of the 4-Way Key Handshake.

> 3): We suspect that after association, Value Point AP may sends some frames
> that are in certain formats or with certain types of encryption that the client side
> can not understand and then drops them. While Windows WiFi client software
> may be more fault tolerant and therefore can still manage to have the authentication
> process through. Not sure this is possible or not.

The capture log did not indicate that anything like that would have been
send out at least during the 130 ms period after the successful
association.