adding supplicant support for new driver

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Feb 16 19:51:47 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:05:30PM +0530, AMBILY N wrote:

> The driver has no option for setting the information element. From the
> documentation what I could understand was, in such scenarios, the driver
> wrapper has to update supplicant with the association information. We went
> through the broadcom driver wrapper implementation and ndis driver in
> supplicant.

Yes, that is correct. You might also want to take a look at ndiswrapper
which is actually using driver_wext.c to get association information
events.

> 	1.	In the driver init, the driver has to listen for events.  On
> receiving events, the supplicant is to be informed.

This is correct..

> 	2.	We can not use the driver_wext.c custom event
> functionalities for that since it handles only the WPA IEs in it.

but this is not..

> 	If the above are correct, then what should be done for sending the
> events like ASSOCINFO from driver?

You should be able to use the custom event from the driver with
ASSOCINFO(ReqIEs=....) encoding. Both ndiswrapper and Linuxant
driverloader are using that.

I'm not sure what you mean by this only handling WPA IEs. driver_wext.c
passes all IEs to core wpa_supplicant code which then takes care of
extracting whatever information is needed (WPA IE or RSN IE if you are
using WPA2).

>        "This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use
> of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
> information.

Please try not to include this kind of bogus disclaimers into messages
send to this mailing list (or directly to me, for that matter).