wpa_supplicant: works for 10 seconds, then fails, then works..

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Mon Dec 26 10:33:51 PST 2005

lorenzo wrote:
> State: ASSOCIATED -> 4WAY_HANDSHAKE
> WPA: RX message 1 of 4-Way Handshake from 00:40:05:55:e5:3d (ver=1)
> <...>
> WPA: Sending EAPOL-Key 2/4
> RX EAPOL from 00:40:05:55:e5:3d
> IEEE 802.1X RX: version=1 type=3 length=121
>   EAPOL-Key type=254
> State: 4WAY_HANDSHAKE -> 4WAY_HANDSHAKE
> WPA: RX message 3 of 4-Way Handshake from 00:40:05:55:e5:3d (ver=1)
> <...>
> WPA: Sending EAPOL-Key 4/4
> WPA: Installing PTK to the driver.
> WPA: RSC - hexdump(len=6): 00 00 00 00 00 00
> wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=2 key_idx=0 set_tx=1 seq_len=6 key_len=32
> State: 4WAY_HANDSHAKE -> GROUP_HANDSHAKE

At this point, you should be getting another EAPOL-Key frame from the AP
(since you're using WPA mode, not WPA2).  What AP are you using?  From
the MAC, it might be a D-Link something, is that right?)

Are there any firmware updates available for it?

Is it perhaps using WPA2 mode even though the encryption is still TKIP
for both pairwise and group?  (I wouldn't think so, because I'd think
that wpa_supplicant would recognize that it received the group key in
the initial handshake in that case, but I don't know for sure.)

Actually, does it maybe use WEP (either WEP40 or WEP104) for the group
key?  It might work to set "group" to either WEP40 or WEP104 in your
config file, but I'm not sure how the supplicant agrees on a key with
the AP in that case.

Is there any way to set up a second box with a card that can do wireless
captures?  The beacons from the AP might be useful, to see what it's
advertising for WPA version and pairwise/group cipher.

> [and afeter 10 seconds]
>
> Authentication with 00:40:05:55:e5:3d timed out.

Yeah, it never got frame 1 of the group key handshake, so it timed the
authentication out, disconnected, and tried again.