WPA2 config with WPA-PSK?

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Wed Dec 21 14:10:14 PST 2005

Jerry LeVan wrote:
> The linksys router

Hmm...  It may be that your router acts the same as mine at home w.r.t.
the wireless (mine is not acting as a router, because I don't have the
WAN port plugged into anything).  I have a WRT54G rev 2, running OpenWRT
firmware plus the "nas" binary pulled out of this unit's factory firmware.

When I set up our 2 XP clients, I installed Microsoft's WPA2 update
because I thought WPA2 was required.  But selecting WPA2 in the XP setup
(not WPA2-PSK) made the supplicant unable to connect on both machines.
Selecting WPA and then AES encryption, OTOH, works just fine.

I think it's an issue with my particular Linksys "nas" binary not
advertising WPA2 support.  Instead, it advertises AES encryption using
the old (Microsoft) WPA OUI, so WPA2 clients do not recognize it.  It
may be that your router is advertising the same WPA instead of WPA2 OUIs.