FreeBSD + EAP/TLS + IPv6 != OK

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Dec 7 07:55:26 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:18:25PM +0200, S?bastien Pierrel wrote:

> I'm having a weird problem while combining FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE,
> wpa_supplicant and IPv6.

> Authentication (eap/tls) works ok, dhcp gives me an IPv4 address, but
> for some strange reason IPv6 doesn't work.

Have you tried whether IPv4 broadcast packets are received correctly?

> I used ethereal to figure it out and it seems that the router
> advertisement (RA) packet is corrupted when "entering" the freebsd host.

> Ethereal captures on mob_1 and mob_2 show different content of the very
> same packet (RA): in the ethernet frame, src and dst MACs are the same
> but all the rest is different (size is even different: 8bytes longer on
> mob_1).

This sounds like the multicast receiving in the driver or net80211 code
is not working correctly.

> I'm quite confused by this problem. I thought about an encryption issue,
> but how could this affect the IPv6 packets and not IPv4?

If it is only affecting multicast/broadcast packets, that could be
explained by different keys used for multicast and unicast frames. Did
you try using the wpa_supplicant version included in FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE
(v0.3.9, if I remember correctly)? This could be either a bug in
driver/net80211 or some kind of mismatch in parameters when broadcast
key is being configured.