FreeBSD + EAP/TLS + IPv6 != OK

Sébastien Pierrel sebastien.pierrel
Wed Dec 7 02:18:25 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm having a weird problem while combining FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE,
wpa_supplicant and IPv6.

I'm using wpa_supplicant v0.4.7 to authenticate my mobile host (mob_1)
to the access point (linksys wrt54gs).

Authentication (eap/tls) works ok, dhcp gives me an IPv4 address, but
for some strange reason IPv6 doesn't work.
I used ethereal to figure it out and it seems that the router
advertisement (RA) packet is corrupted when "entering" the freebsd host.

I used another laptop (mob_2) running linux with the same wpa_supplicant
settings (same wlan card (Dlink DWL-G650), same certificate) to sniff
the traffic. From mob_2, I can see the RS packet sent by mob_1 and the
RA sent by the IPv6 router on the network.

Ethereal captures on mob_1 and mob_2 show different content of the very
same packet (RA): in the ethernet frame, src and dst MACs are the same
but all the rest is different (size is even different: 8bytes longer on
mob_1).

If I disable wpa on the AP, mob_1 will have no problem to get proper RA
and configure its IPv6 address.

I'm quite confused by this problem. I thought about an encryption issue,
but how could this affect the IPv6 packets and not IPv4?

Has anyone tried to run a similar setup? (bsd, eap, ipv6)

BR,
/Seb.