Interactive password

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Dec 5 22:19:26 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 05:31:02PM -0600, Nicolas Will wrote:

> Even with /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf with 600 perms, I'm having a hard
> time living with my password hard-coded on my hard-disk...
>
> Is there any way to invoke an interactive password query like an
> ssh-askpass?

wpa_supplicant has a control interface that could be used to implement
this.

> I know that wpa_cli can be used somehow, but it is not very flexible.

What do you mean with this? What kind of flexibility would you like to
see? wpa_supplicant will ask user for password when one is needed and
the configuration did not include it. This request is sent to all
"monitor programs" using the control interface. One example of these is
wpa_cli, which will interactively ask for the password; another one is
wpa_gui, which will do the same by popping up a dialog box asking for
the password.

> wpa_gui sound promising, but I compiled it, and I think that it still
> needs work.

Could you please be more specific on what you would like to see in
wpa_gui?