problem with hostap and wpa/wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Dec 1 22:27:33 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 10:16:07PM -0700, Rodney Thayer wrote:

> We had some trouble getting wpa_supplicant to run.
> Using wpa_supplicant 0.4.7 and hostap-driver 0.4.7,
> we couldn't run wpa_supplicant in pre-shared key (psk)
> mode.  We got this error:
>
>    ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
>
> It turns out that hostap won't let wpa_supplicant run wpa
> if the card isn't running STA firmware 1.7.0.  I looked
> around and could not find any documentation on this.

Where did you look for this documentation?

wpa_supplicant README:

        Host AP driver for Prism2/2.5/3 (development snapshot/v0.2.x)
        (http://hostap.epitest.fi/)
        Driver need to be set in Managed mode ('iwconfig wlan0 mode managed').
        Please note that station firmware version needs to be 1.7.0 or newer
        to work in WPA mode.

> So... if I am correct (that this isn't documented), I suggest this problem be
> fixed by updating the documentation for wpa_supplicant to remind
> folks to update the firmware on their PRISM cards.

Where would you like to see it documented in addition to the README file
for wpa_supplicant?