hostap on ubuntu

Mårten Holmqvist martenh
Sat Aug 13 03:12:12 PDT 2005

On 13/08/05, Jay Strauss <jjstrauss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here have any experience getting hostap installed
> (possibly built) on ubuntu?
>
> I can't seem to find and .debs for hostap, can't find a .config for
> the kernel so I can build my own hostap on ubuntu

I have built hostap on ubuntu. Hostap IS included in Ubuntu but it
isn't the latest version. To be able to use the latest feautres such
as WPA you most likely need to download the source for your kernel.
Then download the hostap source (I used 0.3.9), you should be able to
simpy run make and sudo make install. To make a package of it I
suggest you install the "checkinstall" package and use that instead of
the "make install" command.

I'm quite new to Linux and Ubuntu so I'm sorry if my explanation isn't
the best but i hope ti helps you a bit on the way.

Good luck!
//M?rten
PS. More help (and me) can be found in #ubuntu on the freenode IRC network.