wireless card for hostAP

thomas schorpp t.schorpp
Fri Aug 5 21:36:28 PDT 2005

Hyewon Jun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install HostAP for a few days, but ended up realizing that
> my cards do not have prism chipset. They have Hermes chipset instead.
>
> Since HermesAP seems to be on the experimental stage for Linux, I am about
> to buy new wireless cards.
>
>>From your experience, would you please recommend me some good wireless
> cards to play with HostAP in the master mode? I plan to consider ones
> listed on the hostap_cs.conf, but your advice will be precious.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -Hyewon Jun

if you want 811b, prism and off you go. for g madwifi (still proprietary
hal - taints kernel) and atheros chips are nearly your only choice, i
use netgear wg311-T- (311-- has no more atheros chip, ti), dont buy
online, open packages at the dealer and look for the chip, they change
chipsets nearly with every new revisions. most linux compatibillity
lists cant catch up with this. all linux g is experimental, but hermes
should do with go too.

ive heard prism g manufacturers change to maybe never supported softmac
chipsets, out too, then...