wpa_supplicant messaging

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Apr 23 20:53:01 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:36:52AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:

> Attached to this email is a patch to wpa_supplicant CVS which replaces
> existing Connected, Disconnected and Terminating messages with ones like
> the above. It also includes a new file, events.h, which defines the text
> of the messages so that other programs can include it and ensure that
> the text is an exact match.

Thanks! I made similar changes to the development version of
wpa_supplicant. The fixed prefixes are now defined in wpa_ctrl.h.

> wpa_monitor.c (based loosely off wpa_cli.c) is a new program whose sole
> purpose is to listen to those three wpa_supplicant events and take
> appropriate action via a shell script (wpa_monitor.action) which can be
> customised per OS.

In order to avoid having similar code in multiple programs, I ended up
including this kind of functionality in wpa_cli. This is enabled by
using -a command line argument to select which script to run on the
connect/disconnect events.