wpa_supplicant: should "Associated with" and "RX EAPOL from" report the same MAC?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Apr 19 19:52:26 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 02:25:17PM +0200, Arjan van Bentem wrote:

> Is seeing two different MAC's for "Associated with" and "RX EAPOL from"
> to be expected?

In most cases, no, this is not expected. However, Authenticator (i.e., a
part of WPA/IEEE 802.1X functionality in AP) could be using another MAC
addressess than the BSSID of the AP.

It is possible that the Authenticator is expecting to receive a reply to
another address than where wpa_supplicant is sending it. If you can send
me the capture log from a successful authentication with Windows, I'll
try to make sure that wpa_supplicant can select the destination address
for the EAPOL packets in a matching way (this may end up being an option
in the configuration, if I cannot find a clear definition of what the
destination address should be from the 802.11i standard).

>       >>> Arjan: is the next line OK...? This only
>       >>> occurs for the snapshot build, not for 0.3.8
> ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device

Yes, this is ok. driver_wext is trying to clear the PMKSA cache during
initialization and the driver does not implement this ioctl.

> Associated to a new BSS: BSSID=00:90:96:cf:43:cf
> :
> Setting authentication timeout: 10 sec 0 usec
>       >>> Arjan: a reply from a different MAC?
> RX EAPOL from 00:0e:50:26:45:b6

Is this address by any chance the MAC address of the wired interface in
the AP?