wpa_supplicant: should "Associated with" and "RX EAPOL from" report the same MAC?

Arjan van Bentem hostap
Tue Apr 19 11:19:07 PDT 2005

Hi all,

for the sake of the archives, so just for (your) information:

Below I wondered about seeing two different MAC addresses when
connecting to a Speedtouch 580 access point using wpa_supplicant and
ndiswrapper. I used Ethereal to check what's sent on Windows, and in
fact it's the very same behavior.

Given the resolved name "AskeyCom" in the Ethereal output I guess that
Thomson (who makes the Speedtouch ADSL modems/wireless access points)
uses some third-party stuff from www.askey.com for the wireless stuff.
And also the comments in the source code suggest that it might be
expected. So: no worries, I guess...

In Windows XP I see:

Sent to 00:90:96:cf:43:cf "AskeyCom"
    802.1x Authentication
       Version: 1
       Type: Start (1)
       Length: 0

Received from 00:0e:50:26:45:b6 "ThomsonM"
    802.1x Authentication
       Version: 1
       Type: Key (3)
       Length: 95
       Descriptor Type: EAPOL WPA key (254)

Sent to 00:90:96:cf:43:cf "AskeyCom"
    802.1x Authentication
       Version: 1
       Type: Key (3)
       Length: 121
       Descriptor Type: EAPOL WPA key (254)

Received from 00:0e:50:26:45:b6 "ThomsonM"
    802.1x Authentication
       Version: 1
       Type: Key (3)
       Length: 119
       Descriptor Type: EAPOL WPA key (254)

Sent to 00:90:96:cf:43:cf "AskeyCom"
    802.1x Authentication
       Version: 1
       Type: Key (3)
       Length: 95
       Descriptor Type: EAPOL WPA key (254)

...and then the authentication is completed and the client connected to
the access point. Still no luck on Linux, but that's another message...

Ciao,
Arjan.