PEAP not initiated for wired user authentication

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Apr 13 19:09:21 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:29:31AM -0700, Sanchez, Ricardo J wrote:

> I am trying to run a PEAP user authentication over the wired driver
> without success. I have a hostapd running as authenticator on the other
> end of the wired link. I must note that I have this wired setup working
> between Xsupplicant and hostapd. However, I want to try the same with
> wpa_supplicant and hostapd. I do not see any EAPOL-Start messages
> generated
> by wpa_supplicant using the latest 4.0 in this particular mode. Is this
> a reasonable setup or not?

Setup looks ok and it looks like the reason for not seeing EAPOL-Start
is in the configuration including ssid option.. If you were to remove
the ssid line, this should work. I didn't remember that this would
happen, so it took some time to actually realize what was happening. In
other wrods, I actually had to make an exact copy of your configuration
to get this reproduced since my test configuration did not specify SSID.

I'll see if I can make this a bit clearer by either making
wpa_supplicant ignore ssid option or at least complain about it for
the -Dwired case.

> Is the identity/password above the parameters used for the inner method
> MSCHAPv2
> (PEAP-phase2)?

Yes.

> How to configure the initial identity sent during
> EAP-Response-Identity
> (PEAP-phase1) - is that the anonymous_identity?

Yes, if anonymous_identity is set, it will be used in Phase 1.

> Apr 13 10:22:50.210346: Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec

This is supposed to be followed by following lines:

Already associated with a configured network - generating associated
event
State: DISCONNECTED -> ASSOCIATED
Association event - clear replay counter
Associated to a new BSS: BSSID=01:80:c2:00:00:03
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
Network configuration found for the current AP
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
Associated with 01:80:c2:00:00:03
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=1
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state CONNECTING
EAPOL: txStart

(and it did in my tests, after removing ssid line)