wlan0sta and wlan0ap

Stefan Winter kickdown
Wed Sep 29 07:50:29 PDT 2004

Hello,

about a year ago there were some postings about being in Master mode and
simultaneously with a logical device wlanXsta in Managed mode. At some
posting in June last year Jouni mentioned that there was some experimental
code with old firmware that allowed this simultaneous operation. I am
speaking of posting:
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2003-June/003084.html

I wonder how the status of that experiment is? Did it ever leave its
experimental state? And what specifically does "old" firmware mean? I have a
card in possession that is an original "Lucent Orinoco" (really one of the
first 11b ever) with a firmware of an alternate versioning scheme (something
like 6.72 firmware or so). Would that be old enough? And is hostapd still
capable of that sort of thing?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter