WPA PSK - AUTH, ASSOC, 4-Way Handshake

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Sep 9 22:57:42 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:29:08AM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:45:11PM -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> > 1) IEEE 802.11 authentication (wpa_supplicant doesn't really care about
> >    this)
> > 2) IEEE 802.11 association (New Access Point)
>
> I'm not seeing any of these sent caught by iwevent. I actually also do
> not see these on your iwevent log too, but I checked and noticed hostap
> src does not send a custom wireless event in the AUTH/ASSOC 802.11
> event.

That New Access Point event is there and like I said, wpa_supplicant
does not care about IEEE 802.11 auth, so no much point in adding a new
wireless event for that.

> It seems evident to me AUTH/ASSOC in MLME extended mode are not being
> sent out. I am not sure why and am trying to figure it out.
> Suggestions/comments are welcomed.

Hmm.. I believe that I was able to get the card to authenticate in MLME
extended mode. This was in January. I think I sent the WPA scanning
patch to prism54-devel at that point and then sent the other, more
experimental parts for MLME handling to you in June. Some kind of
combinations of these changes was able to authenticate with a WPA AP,
but I did not get the card to associate with the AP with WPA IE. It
looked like the firmware implementation and documentation did not
exactly match on this.. Anyway, I haven't spent much time on this after
that initial effort.