raw 802.11 packet sniffing with hostAP

Joe Parks jphstap
Wed Sep 8 12:55:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:49:38 +0530
"tanuja ingale" <tanuja_iv at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help me in knowing how to put my Dlink DWL 650 card in
> ARPHDR_IEEE80211 promiscuous mode so that i can monitor traffic and obtain
> raw packets?
>
> When I put the card in monitor mode # 3, the AP with which it was previously
> associated, shows 00:00:00:00:00:00 sa the AP address. Can anyone tell me
> where I may be going wrong?

I think you are trying to get the hardware to do something it simply can't do.  Unlike a normal ethernet card it can't sniff all traffic AND participate actively at the same time.   Only one or the other.

This question has been asked on the list before and some of the responses were of the "maybe you can try..." type so check the archives to see if someone more optimistic had something to say on the subject.