wpa_supplicant fails with ndiswrapper andmadwifi driver for Atheros 802.11a/b/g card

Michael Reilly michaelr
Sun Oct 31 22:38:39 PST 2004

I have a Cisco CB21AG card which is based on the Atheros 802.11a/b/g chip
(5212 I think it is called).  The card has a PCI id of vendor 0x168c, device
0x0013.

wpa_supplicant fails when I try to use WPA-PSK.  I downloaded a trial copy
of driverloader and it works fine.

The debug from wpa_supplicant indicates that the AP scan returns 0 bytes.
No suitable AP is found.  I am not sure where the problem lies except that
it fails with both ndiswrapper and the madwifi drivers pulled from the
madwifi project's cvs last wednesday.

I am posting this to both the wpa_supplicant list and the ndiswrapper list.

What debugs should I obtain in order to solve this problem?  I ran
wpa_supplicant with the -dd command line option and saw that the sacn
failed.  (Sorry I lost the log I captured.  I will recreate it later and
post it as a followup to this message.)

I am using wpa_supplicant 2.5 and ndiswrapper 0.10 (I tried ndiswrapper 0.11
but the perl script prints out a number of error messages so went back to
version 0.10).  The access point is a Cisco 1100.

Script I use to start the card -

#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup the wireless card using ndiswrapper
#
# Cleanup in case there was a previous crash
rm -rf /var/run/wpa_supplicant
rm -f /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-wlan0.pid
#
modprobe ndiswrapper
#
sleep 2
ifconfig wlan0 up
#
wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dndiswrapper -B
#
sleep 5
/sbin/dhcpcd -d -t 300 -N wlan0

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf