Best cardbus card for WPA?

x-hostap at hamachi.dyndns.org x-hostap
Fri Oct 1 19:54:14 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody has advice on which PCMCIA/cardbus cards that
are currently readily available at a retail store have a Prism2
chipset and thus would work with the HostAP driver.  The SMC2635W is
ADMtek; I don't see the older SMC cards in Fry's anymore.  Sounds like
the new DLink 650 not Prism2 either.

My goal is not to run an access point; I just want my laptop to be
able to use WPA over 802.11b or 802.11g.  But I don't want to load a
binary Windows driver via ndiswrapper or linuxant, I want to use an
open source driver.  So, it seems to me that the best way to do this
is to use a card supported by the HostAP driver and to use
wpa_supplicant.  If there's another way to go about it, I'd be glad to
hear about that too.

Thanks!

-Steve