hostapd and radius server

Ulf Jakobsson fluffe
Fri May 28 01:24:19 PDT 2004

Mark Glines wrote:

> Hmm.  I sent a patch to the list in October 2003 which makes hostapd recover
> from ethernet status changes.  I didn't get any response.  My original message
> is: http://sisyphus.iocaine.com/pipermail/hostap/2003-October/004463.html
>
> I think there's a good chance the same patch will fix your issue.  I've
> attached it; can you please test it?
>
> Mark

Well. Here is little response, it didn't do much difference to 0.2.1 nor
0.1.3.

(These tests are with 0.2.1)

With patch:
* A "broken?" request in the radius server log, I've attached it below
(if it's useful..)
* I noted that the hostapd process could not be stopped (with TERM) if I
had a xsupplicant client that had failed for the reason above (when the
interfaces has initiated in the wrong order). Then I needed to do a kill
-9.
* The xsupplicant client could NOT do its authentication successfully if
I restarted the hostapd after a failed attempt.

Without patch:
* No request in the radius server log.
* Hostapd process could be stopped successfully.
* The xsupplicant client could do its authentication successfully if I
restarted the hostapd after a failed attempt.

(Some minor tests with 0.1.3)
With your patch it seemed that hostapd locked some parts of the driver
and the driver refused to unload itself when issuing cardctrl eject.
hostapd also did not die with TERM.
cat /proc/kmsg: (during cardctrl eject)
<4>hostap_cs: detach postponed, 'wlan0' still locked
<4>hostap_cs: release postponed, 'wlan0' still open
<7>hostap_cs: CS_EVENT_CARD_REMOVAL
<7>wlan0: Interrupt, but dev not OK
<4>hostap_cs: release postponed, 'wlan0' still open
<6>NETDEV WATCHDOG: wlan0ap: transmit timed out
<4>wlan0ap Tx timed out! Resetting card
<7>wlan0ap: CMD=ffff EVSTAT=ffff OFFSET0=ffff OFFSET1=ffff SWSUPPORT0=ffff
<7>wlan0: scheduled card reset
<4>hostap_cs: wlan0: resetting card
<7>wlan0: card already removed or not configured during shutdown
<4>wlan0: hfa384x_cmd - timeout - reg=0xffff
<4>hostap_cs: first command failed - is the card compatible?
<7>prism2_tx_timeout: wake up queue

Ulf