REDHAT 9.0/ pcmcia-cs Package/Ricoh Based Card Support

gaurav dawra openapproject
Fri May 14 15:13:17 PDT 2004

Hi

I compiled hostap-0.0.4 and loaded these modules.

/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
PCIC module not defined in startup options!

I recompiled the kernel and this message is coming. The CONFIG_PCMCIA is
enabled in the .config file of my kernel. So is that a problem.

Here are the modules which i compiled and loaded using insmod:

[root at openap modules]# lsmod
hostap_cs              42312   0  (unused)
hostap                 90820   0  [hostap_cs]
hostap_crypt_wep

And also only these modules are being shown in lsmod command none other,
also in the usr/src/linux-2.4.20rn/driver/pcmcia/ there is i82365.o module
but when i do "insmod" on it , it prints this message on the screen.

[root at openap pcmcia]# insmod i82365.o
i82365.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for"

I do not understand this as i just compiled my kernel using this source
only.

When i try to start the pcmcia service( I forgot to mention i am using
2.4.20 kernel of RED HAT)
/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
PCIC module not defined in startup options!

I tried to edit the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia's PCIC option to i82365 , but as
expected again gave me the same message when i tried to restart the PCMCIA
service. Now i do not understand what is going wrong here. I believe i do
not have the pcmcia-cs package installed successfully in my kernel.

DO i have to recompile my kernel with CONFIG_PCMCIA as NOT SET. And then
download the pcmcia package from internet , if that is what i have to do
which package is stable and i shud download?

Also how do i add the ds module in my kernel?, is there is some option in
the configuration ".config" file that shud be enabled or disabled. Well the
configuration file i am using has the PCMCIA SUPPORT SECTION loks like this:

# PCMCIA/CardBus support
#
CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
# CONFIG_TCIC is not set
# CONFIG_I82092 is not set
CONFIG_I82365=y

Well when i look into this directory all i find is this:

[root at openap pcmcia]# pwd
/lib/modules/2.4.20rn/pcmcia

[root at openap pcmcia]# ll
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           45 May 14 03:08 aironet4500_cs.o ->
../kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/aironet4500_cs.o

please suggest what i am doing wrong. I believe that even the pcmcia package
is not installed successfully in my kernel.

here is also the last three most recent lines of my "dmesg" command.

hostap_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
hostap_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
hostap_cs: 0.0.4 - 2003-07-27 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)

[root at openap modules]#

Thanx,

Gaurav