rate selection in the driver

Krishna Ramachandran krishna
Wed Mar 10 18:41:09 PST 2004

Hi,
    I have an adhoc network consisting of a bunch of nodes with prism2
wireless cards (netgear ma401). the cards are set to choose the rate
automatically. I have several questions related to how hostap selects
the transmit rate:

1) In the code, the driver chooses the rate based on the auto rate
fallback (ARF) scheme. It seems like the rate at a transmitting station
is selected based on the variable "tx_since_last_failure", which is
incremented for each packet transmitted, no matter which neighboring
station the transmitter speaks to. If this is true, I think the
intuition behind designing it this way was because stations usually talk
only with the access point and hence it makes sense not to differentiate
based on the receiving station. However, this assumption doesn't hold
true for the 802.11 IBSS (adhoc) mode. Is my thinking right?

2) If my thinking is correct, is there a solution to select the rate
based on how the link to each neighbor performs?

3) Are rate selection schemes implemented in the firmware different? Is
there any documentation on the Internet I can use as a reference?

thanks in advance,
--
-Krishna