working with client bridges

Brad Langhorst brad
Thu Mar 4 17:27:06 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 01:16, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> Do you happen to know how this client bridge expects to receive these
> frames? If it acts as a standard IEEE 802.11 client that associates, it
> cannot really receive frames for other MAC addresses.. However, if it
> uses something like WDS, the frames could be used. Does this mode work
> with other APs? Do you have wireless sniffer logs that would show how
> the device works?

i did a little research ...
the cb3 does associate with an apple airport and allows multiple
mahcines connected to the wired interface to lease a new addresses and
talk.

with hostap one has to set the bridge to "clone mac mode" where
it just reports that it has the mac of the first wired device it sees.

I don't know how to get an analog of tcpdump for wireless traffic to
figure out what is being sent back and forth...

would be be a serious difficult to just allow hostap to send traffic for
macs that are not associated instead of logging the error?

I'm going to try it...

thanks!

brad