AW: changing AP manual is unstable

Henrik Gütle henrikg
Tue Mar 2 06:57:42 PST 2004

Nope. It even seems to getting more unstable :-(

What I'm trying to do, is to collect signal strength and other
information from 3 different AP's. Since the iwlist wlan0 scan doesn't
return the RSSI, my idea was to connect to each AP in turn and then
readout the corresponding statistics. But since changing AP is so
unstable, I wondered if someone's got another idea?

\Henrik

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bud Smoker [mailto:irie at networks.org]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 2. M?rz 2004 15:30
An: henrikg at fys.ku.dk
Cc: hostap at shmoo.com
Betreff: Re: changing AP manual is unstable

henrik
i get that same error sometimes too, you need to reset the card. then
try to connect. also try:

iwpriv wlan0 dump 0

- will stop the TXEXC messages from coming.

good luck ,
bud smoker

--- <henrikg at fys.ku.dk> wrote:

> henrik, dont use iwpriv wlan0 prism2_param. i havent even heard of
this
option. so it isnt nessacary. what you need to replace it with is:

> iwpriv wlan0 host_roaming 2

Nope that didn't change a thing:

wlan0: TXEXC - status=0x0004 ([Discon]) tx_control=000c
   retry_count=0 tx_rate=0 fc=0x0108 (Data::0 ToDS)
   A1=44:44:44:44:44:44 A2=00:06:25:16:c3:73 A3=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
A4=00:00:00:
00:00:00
wlan0: Trying to join BSSID XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
wlan0: LinkStatus=6 (Association failed)
wlan0: LinkStatus: BSSID=44:44:44:44:44:44

> this command must be called before the iwconfig wlan0 ap <xxx>
command.

> should work then.
>
> peace,
> bud smoker
>
> --- <henrikg at fys.ku.dk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been trying to change the AP my Linksys WPC11 card is assosiated
> manually. The weird thing is that it only works sometimes. As far as I
can
> tell, there is no pattern for when I succeed in switching AP and when
not.
> I'm doing the following:
>
> iwpriv wlan0 prism2_param 21 2 (or just call the prism2_param, but
same
> result)
> iwconfig wlan0 essid test
> iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
> (Some old mail in this list suggested that changing essid and channel
could
> help with the problem)
>
> iwconfig wlan0 ap XX:XX:XX:XX
> And here is the problem, sometimes it changes sometimes not:
>
> (dmesg)
> wlan0: Trying to join BSSID XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> wlan0: LinkStatus=1 (Connected)
> wlan0: LinkStatus: BSSID=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> wlan0: Trying to join BSSID YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
> wlan0: LinkStatus=1 (Connected)
> wlan0: LinkStatus: BSSID=YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
> wlan0: Trying to join BSSID XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> wlan0: LinkStatus=6 (Association failed)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I'm using the hostap-driver-0.1.3, hostap_utils-0.1.3, no wpa, and the
1.7.4
> firmware.
>
> \Henrik

> Proud member of United Networks Email, visit or report abuse at  http: