changing AP manual is unstable

henrikg at fys.ku.dk henrikg
Mon Mar 1 11:14:41 PST 2004

Hi

I've been trying to change the AP my Linksys WPC11 card is assosiated to
manually. The weird thing is that it only works sometimes. As far as I can
tell, there is no pattern for when I succeed in switching AP and when not.
I'm doing the following:

iwpriv wlan0 prism2_param 21 2 (or just call the prism2_param, but same
result)
iwconfig wlan0 essid test
iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
(Some old mail in this list suggested that changing essid and channel could
help with the problem)

iwconfig wlan0 ap XX:XX:XX:XX
And here is the problem, sometimes it changes sometimes not:

(dmesg)
wlan0: Trying to join BSSID XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
wlan0: LinkStatus=1 (Connected)
wlan0: LinkStatus: BSSID=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
wlan0: Trying to join BSSID YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
wlan0: LinkStatus=1 (Connected)
wlan0: LinkStatus: BSSID=YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
wlan0: Trying to join BSSID XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
wlan0: LinkStatus=6 (Association failed)

Any suggestions?

I'm using the hostap-driver-0.1.3, hostap_utils-0.1.3, no wpa, and the 1.7.4
firmware.

\Henrik