Performance drop in Bridge mode without WEP

Michael Guntsche mike
Sat Jun 26 10:59:01 PDT 2004

Hi,

Looking at the WPA issues I have with my setup here, I saw a very
strange behaviour.

Hardware setup:

AP:
Pentium 200 MMX
Kernel 2.4.26
Netgear PCI Prism card

Clients:
WindowsXP / Linux Notebook

The AP is setup to Bridge between the wired and wireless network.
Trying to copy a file between two clients (one on the wired, the other
on the wireless network)
I see the following behaviour.

WEP enabled:
	* Copying a file works in both directions without any problems

WEP disabled:
	* If I copy from the wireless to the wired client the throughput is
normal
	* Copying from the AP to the wireless client  works too.
	* If I copy from the wired to the wireless client I ONLY get around 30
KB/second
	   If I start tcpdump br0 on the AP throughput rises again to normal
values.

For testing purposes I configured the notebook to act as AP. Everything
worked without a problem.

I tried the following things:

* Testing different versions of the hostap driver 0.1.x, 0.2.x, CVS
* Installing the same kernel as on the notebook to rule out a kernel or
bridge code problem

So it is either a hardware fault,  although I doubt that since the card
is working with WEP enabled, or something is wrong in the hostap_pci
driver.
What really looks odd to me is that running tcpdump on the AP speeds up
the transfer.

On a side note I see the following messages in dmesg every time I call
iwconfig on the AP

wlan0 (WE) : Buffer for request SIOCGIWPRIV too small (16<88)
wlan0 (WE) : Buffer for request SIOCGIWPRIV too small (32<88)
wlan0 (WE) : Buffer for request SIOCGIWPRIV too small (64<88)

I know that this normally means that the wireless extensions between
the driver and the tools are not in sync, but I am using the same
versions on the notebook and don't see the messages there.

I am pretty sure that this is not a common problem and I can work
around it (enabling WEP),
but maybe someone has an idea what might be happening here.

Michael