hostapd authenticates but dhcpd doesn't give out address

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Jun 17 20:19:50 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:03:15PM -0400, Bob Beers wrote:

> My AP essid is "dugtrio", master mode, no wep.
> My station essid is "dugtrio", managed mode, no wep.

The wpa_supplicant.conf file you included was configured to use TKIP,
but hostapd.conf was configured for plaintext with IEEE 802.1X
authentication this is not going to work.. You should be able to test
IEEE 802.1X authentication, but once wpa_supplicant start to expect WPA
key handshake, the AP is not going to be doing it.

> bash-2.05b# ./wpa_supplicant -d -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> bind(PF_UNIX): Address already in use
> Failed to initialize control interface '/var/run/wpa_supplicant'.

wpa_supplicant used to leave the socket file behind in many of the error
cases. You will need to remove that /var/run/wpa_supplicant file
manually in this case. The current CVS version of wpa_supplicant should
be much more careful in removing the file.