problems 'make install'

michael michael
Fri Jun 11 10:19:55 PDT 2004

hello all,

I'm not new to linux but new to messing with the kernel so I need your help
getting hostap to install. Thanks...

Ok, after make'ing I try to make install and I get this...

Module installation directory not valid: '/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358custom'
Most probable cause for this is modified kernel headers.
You will need to install module file (driver/modules/hostap*.{,k}o) manually.
make[1]: *** [install_check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/hostap-driver-0.1.3'
make: *** [install_2.6] Error 2

there is not 2.6.5-1.358custom directory

FWI I tried creating the symlink that it was looking for and it installed but
when I went to modprobe it I got this...

FATAL: Error inserting hostap (/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/net/hostap.ko):
Invalid module format

I'm kinda stuck here trying to get this installed so that I can use ipw2100 to
get my wireless up and running. Any help?

Thanks
Michael