What doesn minimal_eap=1 mean in practice

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Jun 9 06:27:31 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:36:18PM +0200, Stefan Arentz wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what settings minimal_eap to 1 means with regard
> the client experience? Do clients (OS X, Window) still show a
> user/password dialog, or is the authentication silently done in the
> background?

minimal_eap is test mode that should not really be used in any
production system. It will require identity, so client end is likely to
ask for a username. Password is ignored since minimal_eap just accepts
any authentication request.

> The reason I am asking is because I am looking for a way to give
> people secure access to an public wireless network; there is no
> authentication needed. Like a 'WPA without passwords', only used for
> dynamic WEP.

For this, you will need to use an EAP method which provides keying
material to generate and distribute the dynamic WEP keys. EAP-TLS and
EAP-PEAP are examples of such methods, minimal_eap=1 test code is not.