One More Try

marc smith mjsmith
Sat Jan 31 15:31:53 PST 2004

I am Know this is for hostap. If any of you would have read my first
post you would know that I was asking for help because I want to start
playing with hostap.

I did not know that the linksys WPC11 ver 4 was a realtek chip set. Now
that I know that and you have given me a resource to look at I will go
buy me a prism based network card.

-----Original Message-----
From: James B. Hiller [mailto:jhiller at visi.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 4:30 PM
To: marc smith
Cc: hostap at shmoo.com
Subject: Re: One More Try

> I am having issue getting the Linksys WPC11 Ver. 4 card to work with
any
> drivers.  Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem is?

This list is for hostap, an access point driver that works only with
the Prism 2.0/2.5/3.0 chipset on linux systems.  If your card doesn't
use
one of these Prism chipsets, OR if you are looking for only a driver, as
opposed to using the card as an access point, OR if you aren't using
linux, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

> If I wanted to go buy a new card to play with this project is there
any
> recommendations as to which card performs the best.

I don't think anyone is going to give you a performance review.
However,
if you would like to look at resources that will identify generally
what chipsets are used on what cards (to a certain level of currency),
take a look at

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

You can also review the archives of this list to see what people have
reported for successes.

jbh