DWL 520 E1 (the continuing saga)

Cliff cliffo
Fri Jan 30 01:10:52 PST 2004

Well, I had an interesting morning and thought I'd share this bit of
information:

NOTE:  The below information worked for me once and I have since been
unable to reproduce :(  I also was not smart enough to capture dmesg
output before trying other things first    >:...(

I turned on the computer after letting it sit all night (still plugged
in) and on a hunch turned off all un-needed devices in BIOS (1394, USB,
floppy, sound, etc) and booted to MDK9.2.

I switched to console and:
modprobe hostap_pci worked fine
prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pm010102.hex loaded

Here is the interesting part.  At ths point, dmesg output did NOT show
the usual "valid PDA not found" message after the first firmware upload.

I was then able to:
prism2_srec -gp wlan0 pm010102.hex

and

prism2_srec -rs (?) blah blah

I didn't actually try to connect to an access point, but iwconfig seemed
to be working as expected!

After rebooting I was unable to reproduce this.  I also tried unplugging
the power cord...no luck.  I tried many variations of bios settings and
have yet to reproduce my earlier luck.  Maybe this information can be
useful though?

Cliff