Dlink DWL-520 Rev E1

Frederik Dannemare admin
Sun Jan 18 16:18:46 PST 2004

Jake Snyder wrote:
[ snip ]
> I think i understand how to load the firmware in the card by using:
> ./prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pm010102.hex
> ./prism2_srec -gip wlan0 pm010102.hex
> ./prism2_srec -rp wlan0 rf010704.hex
>
> but where do i get the firmware i'm supposed to load. I've read
> something about downloading it from the card, but i have no idea what
> this entails.

I am absolutely no expert in this field (have used hostap for less than a
week), but I first determined the ID of my card (which came out as NICID:
id=0x801b) using cmd 'hostap_diag wlan0'.

Then I found my NICID in this table:
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/IDtable.html
and found the letter 'F' in the column of the Secondary Release Code ID. This
is for upgrading the station firmware which is probably what you are after.

Thus, I was supposed to use 'sf010704.hex' (found on
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/firmware/1.7.4/)

First I did a test run (-v):
prism2_srec -v wlan0 sf010704.hex

All looked good with the test run, so I did a real upgrade (-vf):
prism2_srec -vf wlan0 sf010704.hex

The 'rf010704.hex' (as opposed to 'sf010704.hex') is to be used for
downloading the new firmware in RAM (volatile mem) (this way you don't perform
a permanent firmware upgrade, so simply eject and re-insert your card to get
the old firmware back).

Also, have a look at http://trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/hostap_20030727.shtml
This document helped me a lot.
--