Trouble getting dhcpd to run

Stuart Luppescu s-luppescu
Fri Feb 13 14:33:00 PST 2004

I'm trying to add wireless capability to my Gentoo Linux based
firewall/router. I added a Netgear MA311 PCI card to the router,
installed the hostap package, configured ethernet bridging into the
kernel. My plan was to bridge the wireless and wired networks into one
internal LAN with the external ethernet interface connected to the DSL
line, and have the Linux box do the firewalling/routing/NATing for both
networks at once.

This seems to set up ok but I can't get dhcp to start for my wireless
network. Here are the commands I run to get the
bridged network up:

ifconfig eth0 down
modprobe bridge
modprobe hostap_pci
iwconfig wlan0 essid SNL
#Encryption stuff will go in here eventually
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 wlan0
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig br0 192.168.1.1 up

I have this in my dhcpd.conf:

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
ddns-updates on;
range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.164;
}

But when I try and start dhcpd I get these messages:

Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd:
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd: No subnet declaration for wlan0 (0.0.0.0).
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd: ** Ignoring requests on wlan0.  If this is
not what
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd:    you want, please write a subnet
declaration
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd:    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network
segment
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd:    to which interface wlan0 is attached. **
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd:
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd:
Feb 13 18:42:58 brian dhcpd: Not configured to listen on any interfaces!

I even put in 0.0.0.0 in the network segment instead of 192.168.1.0, but
that didn't result in anything different.

I've been using Linux for nearly 9 years but have never used dhcp. This
has got me stumped. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR