Kernel 2.6.2 Changes

Jim Thompson jim
Thu Feb 5 16:57:00 PST 2004

AthlonRob writes:
> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:27, Stuffed Crust wrote:
>
> > The way I look at it -- if you want "plug and chug", then use the
> > orinoco driver or hostap or whatever.  How often can you say you have a
> > true choice in driver software?  The main things linux-wlan-ng brings to
> > the plate are an obscene amount of tweakability and the 802.11 mlme/mib
> > interface.  Which is obviously not as important to you, or indeed the
> > average joe.  But then the other drivers are GoodEnough(tm).
>
> Linux-wlan-ng brings more to the plate than extreme tweakability and the
> 802.11 mlme/mib interface.  As far as I've been able to tell, the
> drivers have a more broad list of supported devices.  They seemed to
> work flawlessly with my card (an AirLink+)... sans encryption, although
> I am not sure if that is the problem of the drivers or my configuration.

Likely the problem is behind the keyboard.  :-)

Seriously, apart from firmware rev issues, if hostap doesn't work on a
given card, then it is unlikely that linux-wlan-ng will work on that
same card.

> The in-kernel Orinoco drivers seem to pretty much have a narrow field of
> supported cards in comparison.  HostAP seems to be about on par,
> although now WEP isn't working for me with them.

See above.

> Really, I wish I hadn't fried my Atmel card... those drivers were nice
> and simple to understand and get working.  :-)

But you can't run these as an AP.

> > Meanwhile, if more complete Wireless Extension that important to
> > someone, I happily accept patches; in fact I apply almost everything
> > that comes in, providing it doesn't break something else.
> >
> > Isn't that what Free Software is about, empowering the users?
>
> Unfortunately the users don't necessarily have the skillsets necessary
> to fix the issues.  Really, I have a choice in the matter.  Do I take
> the time necessary to learn a little bit of the C language, then learn
> how to write/hack hardware drivers (I know a little bit of C++, not C),
> to patch wlan-ng for WE support... do I learn enough C and driver
> hacking to patch up the in-kernel orinoco drivers, do I make due with
> what is out there, hoping somebody else has the motivation to fix the
> drivers, or do I spend $60 on a decent well supported card?

Obviously, its your choice.

> Ideally yes, free software is all about empowering the users... if they
> want something, they go and do it.  In the real works, we users don't
> have the skillset necessary to really do it.  :-(

But you can hire those that do.

Jim

--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
			-- Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)