Kernel 2.6.2 Changes

Stuffed Crust pizza
Thu Feb 5 16:27:28 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:45:35PM -0800, AthlonRob wrote:
> actually associated itself with the base station.  So... I moved on to
> linux-wlan-ng.  Why the HELL would they refuse to use Wireless
> Extensions, which are *SO FREAKING EASY*?  After sitting on their
> mailing list for a while, I think I've come to the conclusion the
> wlan-ng dev(s) just got pissed off about wireless extensions becoming
> more popular than them, so they say piss off to anybody who reasons
> wireless extension support in their drivers might be a good thing.

Sorry to break into your rant, but the lack of wireless extension
support stems from the differing goals of linux-wlan-ng.

While WE has come a long way, it still doesn't do what AVS (and its
paying customers) needed.  But that is largely historical now, since
linux-wlan-ng has been directed almost entirely by my itch scratching
for the past year or so.

The way I look at it -- if you want "plug and chug", then use the
orinoco driver or hostap or whatever.  How often can you say you have a
true choice in driver software?  The main things linux-wlan-ng brings to
the plate are an obscene amount of tweakability and the 802.11 mlme/mib
interface.  Which is obviously not as important to you, or indeed the
average joe.  But then the other drivers are GoodEnough(tm).

Meanwhile, if more complete Wireless Extension that important to
someone, I happily accept patches; in fact I apply almost everything
that comes in, providing it doesn't break something else.

Isn't that what Free Software is about, empowering the users?

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444