Bitrate setting?

Carter, Michael Michael.Carter
Wed Feb 4 21:49:30 PST 2004

Hi all, I'm having a problem that I hope someone will able to help me with.
I have two machines, each using the hostap driver to communicate over a Samsung SWL-2100N PCMCIA card.
I'm operating them in ad-hoc mode, and I can't get them to ping each other.
Using iwconfig, I can tell that they are able to associate with each other, because they have the same Cell ID and the machine with an ESSID set to "any" picks up the other machines ESSID. However, the machines' bitrates were set differently to each other, so it is hardly surprising that they cannot communicate. Unfortunately, I can't seem to change the bitrate each is set to. Using something like "iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M" does exactly nothing. Well, not quite.
It does give me the message that it is :

"updating basic rate set automatically to match the new supported rate set"

but this doesn't actually result in the given bitrate changing. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Is there a situation where the settings shown by iwconfig will be different to those actually used by the card?

cheers,
mick