Firmware loading error

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Feb 3 13:06:58 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, HostAP Developer wrote:

> I've been lurking here for awhile and I have a question.  I've compiled a
> new kernel and HostAP CVS Devel.  All seems to work OK until I try to
> flash pccard with new firmware.
[skip]
> ... let's try the flash ...
> 	[1.7.4]# prism2_srec -v -f wlan0 pk010101.hex sf010704.hex
[skip]
> 	Downloading to non-volatile memory (flash).
> 	Note! This can take about 30 seconds. Do _not_ remove card during download.
> 	ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_DOWNLOAD]: No such device

Make sure that prism2_srec is also compiled from the CVS sources.  Make
sure that you have PRISM2_NON_VOLATILE_DOWNLOAD uncommented in
driver/modules/hostap_config.h

Also see the kernel log.  It's displayed by the "dmesg" command.

> ... ooops, what went wrong?  What 'device' is it looking for?

Maybe -ENODEV was returned by the driver.  There are just 6 places where
it's returned (not counting the PCI and PLX drivers).  If dmesg doesn't
show anything useful, you could use binary search to find which function
returned -ENODEV.

> ... /var/log/messages
> kernel: wifi0: Could not read download buffer parameters

Not all kernel messages are logged in /var/log/messages.  dmesg may give
more information.

> ... genesis mode doesn't seem to work either ...
> 	[1.7.4]# prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pk010101.hex
> 	srec summary for pk010101.hex

That's because genesis mode is RAM download.  You should use
RAM-downloadable firmware for that.  But don't attempt flash download
after RAM download - it won't work.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin