Automatically selecting channel

Vijay Raghunathan vijay
Sun Feb 1 07:39:46 PST 2004

As far as I know, it depends on the roaming mode. In mode "0", the card
does automatic scanning (i.e., scans through all the channels for an AP
with the essid that it has been set to). In mode "2", which is the manual
roaming and scanning mode, this scanning is not done automatically. So,
one can set the channel explicitly.

-Vijay

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Roy Badami wrote:

> The examples I recall seeing of wireless networking under Linux seem to
> explicitly set the channel.
>
> But I've just realized that my hostap client associates with my AP
> just fine, even if I don't set the channel (indeed, even if I
> explicitly set an incorrect channel).
>
> Is this a standard feature of wi-fi under Linux that I'd missed, or is
> this some special feature of hostap or perhaps of the way
> wpa_supplicant probes for networks (I'm using WPA-PSK on my home AP;
> haven't had a chance to see if I get the same behaviour on a non-WPA
> AP).
>
> Or has it never been necessary to set a channel in managed mode, and
> I was just confused?
>
> 	-roy

Vijay Raghunathan			     Phone: 310 206 4465  (W)
Graduate Researcher			            310 208 9468  (H)
Networked and Embedded Systems Lab           FAX:   310 825 7928
Dept. of Electrical Engineering              Email: vijay at ee.ucla.edu
UC, Los Angeles                    URL: http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~vijay