ifrename problems

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Dec 31 22:51:29 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 06:06:04AM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:

> "Card inserts normally as wlan0.  ifrename renames the card to e200
> based
> on MAC address per /etc/iftab.  Removing the card, with the interface up
> or down, then produces:
>
> hostap_cs: Driver unloaded
> Badness in remove_proc_entry at fs/proc/generic.c:688
>  [<c018c83a>] remove_proc_entry+0x10a/0x150

This is related to a known issue of what to do with a procfs directory
with an interface name when the name of that interface is changed.. The
current version of the driver just ignores the change, but does not save
the old interface name which seems to trigger this case since the procfs
entries are not removed. I have consider of changing the driver to
rename that directory, but haven't yet seen this important enough to
spent much time on..

> This is with hostap-driver-0.2.5 and linux 2.6.9.  Note that they also
> have issues w/ the MAC address after an ifrename, as well.  The original
> bug reports can be seen here:

This does not look like ifrename specific.. I would guess that this
would be a card without firmware image on flash and ifrename being run
before firmware has been downloaded, i.e., when the card MAC address is
not yet available.