wpa_supplicant + hostap -- won't associate with open APs.

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Dec 19 18:04:47 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 08:01:32PM -0500, Tony Espy wrote:

> I think I may have uncovered a bug in wpa_supplicant v0.2.5 in
> combination with the hostAP driver.
>
> I'm using wpa_supplicant for associating with APs running WEP & WPA-PSK
> as well as open APs.  I found in my testing that wpa_supplicant wouldn't
> properly associate with open APs.

> The function wpa_supplicant_hostap_set_wpa() in driver_hostap.c is
> always called by wpa_supplicant_driver_init().  It always sets
> PRISM2_PARAM_PRIVACY_INVOKED to true.  I've found that this has the ill
> side-effect of preventing wpa_supplicant from associating with an open
> AP ( ie. no WEP or WPA ).  When I commented this line out, everything
> worked...

Which AP did you use? This may be somewhat implementation specific since
I was able to associate with an AP using plaintext. Anyway, the change
you have looks fine and I did a similar changed, though based on
key_mgmt, not wpa_ie == NULL, to cover IEEE 802.1X with WEP keys case.