DWL-520 REV E [Again (sigh)]

Westin Shafer shafer_w2002
Fri Dec 17 00:50:39 PST 2004

Hello everyone...  Sorry to bother you with this as I know you have probibly answered this question a dozen times.

I have been working on getting this card installed on my Debian box for the last week now and keep running into problems.  First I didn't have the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel after the install so I had to update the kernel a packet at a time...  (which is no fun when you don't have the Internet connection on the box)..

Finally after many attempts and getting messages Like Package A depends on Package B but the Package B depends on Package A, I got the system updated to the 2.4 kernel with the HostAp packages installed...  (but I have some wierd XFree offshoot containing old packages and some new..  I still chuckel at this one..  Hopefully I can just update the entire XFree86 with app-get as soon as I get online.. lol)

Following numorus instructions I setup and executed the hostap_fw_load command only to get no Hostap (instert forrgotten message here) driver found.

Looked through the /var/log/messages file and heres what I found when the HostAp driver tried to load.

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:09.1
hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wlan0
wlan0: hfa384x_cmd - timeout - reg=0x879
hostap_pci:  first command failed - Is the card compatible?
hostap_pci:  No devices found, driver not installed

After searching the web and looking through mailing lists, forums, how-tos, faqs I'm a little worn out.  and the most frustrating thing about this was the card worked great on the same machine using SuSe...

I have a feeling that I have just over-looked one step somewhere and was hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Westin

P.S.  I have also tried compiling the 2.6.9 kernel and the packages from the source and still haveing the exact same problem.