Corrupted Prism2 Card

Lawrence Wong lawrencewong72
Thu Dec 16 22:00:23 PST 2004

--- Peter <peter at peter.dyndns.info> wrote:

> please post the full dmesg output on loading the
> hostap_pci module

here's the dmesg I obtained after I did a "rmmod
hostap_pci hostap ; modprobe hostap_pci"

hostap_pci: 0.3.0 - 2004-12-05 (Jouni Malinen
<jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level,
low) -> IRQ 10
hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 1 ms
wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.1
Could not get RID for component STA
wifi0: Failed to read STA f/w version - only Primary
f/w present
wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xeb400000, irq=10
wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0

> even if your secondary firmware is broken, the
> driver should still load
> and detect your card. then it should also be
> possible to download the
> missing firmware image to ram by using the -r flag
> with prism2_srec.
> (see hostap_fw_load script in hostap-utils, maybe
> you also have to
> download a primary firmware) downloads to flash are
> maybe broken (4ever)
> once you've downloaded the wrong image.

For my case, it looks like the card is loaded but the
driver couldn't see it (lot's of no such device
error):

# ./prism2_srec -g wlan0 ak010100.hex
srec summary for ak010100.hex
Component: 0x0015 1.1.0 (primary firmware)

ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: No such device
Missing wlan component info
Could not read wlan RIDs

# ./prism2_srec -r wlan0 rf010803.hex
srec summary for rf010803.hex
Component: 0x001f 1.8.3 (station firmware)