iwconfig trouble

capacity77 at tin.it capacity77
Mon Dec 6 03:56:07 PST 2004

Hi Brian!
yes, I'm going to use this machine as an AP but there are a couple of things
that make me guess that the configuration is not perfect, would you help
me,please?

You know that I was using the linux-wlan-ng driver for my Compaq WL100 (it
was working well!) but I had to remove it to use hostap. I just edited the
/etc/modules.conf file commenting the line loading the module. Then I installed
hostap and it opened another interface called wifi0 and now with iwconfig
i see that I have 2 interfaces set on the same device, the wlan0 and the
wifi0:

iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wifi0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"test"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422 GHz  Access Point: 00:50:8B:99:B7:FF
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"test"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422 GHz  Access Point: 00:50:8B:99:B7:FF
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

You can see wifi0 and wlan0 look at the same device.
Is it ok if I leave the 2 interfaces or I have to remove one? Which is the
hostap file controlling wifi0?
Then there's another thing: the led on the wireless card is blinking, it
should mean that the card is not configured properly! And as a matter of
facts, other machines don't see me at all with iwlist scan! :((

Save our souls!
Dom