WPA then WEP not working in AP mode (ver0.2.4) ?

Ulf Jakobsson fluffe
Wed Aug 18 23:59:21 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have noticed a problem with the hostap driver (0.2.4). If I
successfully run "(1) Enable WPA" (shown below) with TKIP or CCMP and
then run "(2) Enable wep" (shown below), my station gets associated but
no data can be transmitted (I won't get an IP address from the AP using
DHCP).

If I run (1) or (2) separately and reload the hostap modules between the
steps it works.

This is how to reproduce it:

(1) Enable wpa
killall hostapd
iwconfig wlan0 mode master essid wpa2 key off
/usr/sbin/hostapd -d hostapd.wlan0.conf.wpa

cat hostapd.wlan0.conf.wpa:
interface=wlan0
ssid=wpa
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=longsecret
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_group_rekey=500
wpa_gmk_rekey=500

(2) Enable wep
killall hostapd
iwconfig wlan0 mode master essid wep key 12345678901234567890123456
prism2_param wlan0 ieee_802_1x 0
/usr/sbin/hostapd -d hostapd.wlan0.conf.wep

cat hostapd.wlan0.conf.wep:
interface=wlan0
ssid=wep

Have I forgotten something between the steps to get it working?

STAID in AP is 1.7.4
I have tested the setup with both a Linux client running hostap 0.2.4
and a windows client

/Regards Ulf