killed card

Mr. The Plague mrtheplague
Thu Aug 5 14:22:48 PDT 2004

Greetings all

Gather around and I will tell you my sob story :(

I was working on a machine that had no ethernet interface. So, I got
my senao NL2511CD plus EXT2 card and popped it into my linux box, and
got my OriNoco and popped it into the other box. I planned on
configuring the senao as an AP and using it to get access to my
laptop's wired ethernet.

I found out that the other machine, a winME box, didn't have the
orinoco drivers. So when I went to ircp them over, i started fidgeting
with the irda modules at the same time as running several iwconfigs to
get the card into Master mode. The kernel paniced hard, something to
do with the irda things, but it interrupted an iwconfig. When I
rebooted, the card started giving me timeout errors like this.

hostap_cs: CVS (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
hostap_cs: setting Vcc=33 (constant)
hostap_cs: CS_EVENT_CARD_INSERTION
hostap_cs: setting Vcc=33 (from config)
Checking CFTABLE_ENTRY 0x01 (default 0x01)
IO window settings: cfg->io.nwin=1 dflt.io.nwin=1
io->flags = 0x0046, io.base=0x0000, len=64
hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 3.3, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 194 ms
wifi0: hfa384x_cmd: entry still in list? (entry=e7f69d14, type=0, res=0)
wifi0: hfa384x_cmd: command was not completed (res=0, entry=e7f69d14,
type=0, cmd=0x0021, param0=0xfd0b, EVSTAT=8010 INTEN=0010)
wifi0: interrupt delivery does not seem to work
wifi0: hfa384x_get_rid: CMDCODE_ACCESS failed (res=-110, rid=fd0b, len=8)
Could not get RID for component NIC
hostap_cs: Initialization failed
prism2_config() failed

I said, no biggie, and booted into windows (after finding a copy of
ntldr and ntdetect that got nuked from another ordeal with my
hibernation file) and decided to reflash the firmware, as a few sites
dealing with "interrupt delivery does not seem to work" suggested
doing that. They claimed to have finished completely, but the same
error happened in linux. (i don't know of any hostap implementation
for windows, and I don't have an access point handy to see if the card
works in 'doze).

SO. A few other threads began involving the card's Genesis mode
(which, if I understand correctly, is kinda like cisco's RXBOOT mode
that allows you to load a new OS and have basic, basic features). Am I
going to have to use this last measure, or is there another way to get
this card good short of buying a new one?

Thanks tons,
Pi/mtp