Change of wlan0 MAC

Karel Rericha karel
Wed Apr 14 05:08:59 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have Mandrake 10.0 with hostap 0.2.0, all running fine until I change
MAC of wlan0 interface with commands (actual MAC different):

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55
ifconfig wlan0 up

no client can connect after that. And it doesn't matter if I change MAC
before or after my cfg commands for hostap. It means if I reboot to
plain "test" configuration of hostap, I can connect without probs. But
after MAC change of wlan0, clients can see wireless network, but can't
connect.

I'm changing eth1 MAC on same box too, but it is running ok, and both
wlan0 and eth1 show correctly their new MACs.

dmesg says endlessly:

handle_ap_item - addr1(DA)=00:11:22:33:44:55 not own MAC

I have found few references to similar problems on google searching "not
own MAC" but no solution.

Any idea ?