CIS for Prism based chipset

Pavel Roskin proski
Thu Apr 1 12:23:56 PST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Gargi D wrote:

> The CIS structure consists of some tuples which are predefined.  As a
> part of the FUNCE tuple provided by the CIS structure wer are supposed
> to get MAC address used by the NIC.
>
> The MAC Address of my card is however dfferent from what CIS reports
> from this particular field,
>
> Can someone provide more insight into this?

The MAC address is hardcoded in 3 placed - CIS, PDA and secondary
firmware.  The one that in the secondary firmware is the default used by
the card.  When you reflash the firmware or just load firmware into the
card memory, the MAC address is taken from the PDA.

The address in the CIS is not used by the card.  I've seen hex records
that flash the CIS using the MAC address from the PDA.  Some manufacturers
are lazy and write the same CIS to all cards.  Usually the MAC address in
the CIS consists of all zeroes in this case.

You can look up the addresses in the MAC address database in the Ethereal
sources.  Maybe it will explain something.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin