Dynamic IP address assignment

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Sep 18 22:07:51 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 12:49:42AM -0400, tom at ceisystems.com wrote:

> 	Does anybody have the official spec. of the interaction between
> 802.1x and 802.11?  This would most definitely clear up the issue.  Just
> my $.02.

There is no such spec.. ;-) and even if there were, both 802.1X and
802.11 are below IP layer and don't really care about IP address
assignment. IEEE 802.11i describes some IEEE 802.1X <-> 802.11
interaction, but it does not consider things like IP addresses for STAs.

IETF draft draft-congdon-radius-8021x-30.txt might come closest here
with following description:

3.7.  Framed-IP-Address, Framed-IP-Netmask

IEEE 802.1X does not provide a mechanism for IP address assignment.
Therefore the Framed-IP-Address and Framed-IP-Netmask attributes can
only be used by IEEE 802.1X Authenticators that support IP address
assignment mechanisms.  Typically this capability is supported by layer
3 devices.

But like I said before, this could be something like calling a separate
program, etc. In other words, implementation specific.