Host ap Going the way of the Dodo?

Cole Frank Contr AFRL/IFGC Frank.Cole
Fri Sep 12 12:58:18 PDT 2003

We should really give GlobeSpanVirata a chance to get their program going
before you write off HostAP and/or the Prism line.  Furthermore with most of
the industry moving to the firmware+opensource model, HostAP couldn't be in
a better spot since it would be very easy (relatively) to adapt.  In the
firmware+opensource model, the firmware really only drives the radio and
baseband controllers where as part of the mac functions as well as station
or AP functionality including crypto is totally left up to the drivers/apps
on the host.  That is what HostAP does already and quite well.  Just my
$0.02.

Frank Cole

// Wireless Information Assurance Laboratory //
// Air Force Research Lab/Rome Research Site //